Do you want to learn how to write a good product review for affiliate marketing?
Product reviews can help drive lots of organic traffic to your website.
In fact, it can also help drive affiliate sales simply because shoppers who are looking for reviews are almost ready to buy.
According to AdWeek, an average of 81% of shoppers conduct online research before buying.
There are so many options to choose from and most consumers have no idea whether the product or service they are considering are actually good buys.
Based on the statistics of people conducting research before buying.
A good product review will not only help your readers, but it will also drive lots of organic traffic to your website, and of course sales.
In this article, I will be going over the qualities you must have in a product review and how you can be more efficient by creating a product review template.
Without further ado, let’s dive right in!
In my opinion, a good product review should contain the following qualities!
Qualities you must have in a product review!
Quality #1. You don’t want to be biased!
In my opinion, this is the most important quality in a product review.
Consumers want the truth. If your intentions are to sell with zero care about the actually benefits for your readers. They will see right through it.
With that being said, it is okay to reveal anything negative.
In the end, it is up to your readers to decide on the purchase.
If the product is indeed horrible like you mentioned, then you will only build more credibility with your readers.
Quality #2. Be very informative!
A product review should be thorough and informative.
People who are reading product reviews have little to no idea what the product offers.
For example, let’s say you are reviewing the game, “Grand Theft Auto V Online”.
Just simply talking about what kind of game it is and how many cars you can purchase is NOT very fun and informative.
What you want to do is get in depth with what the game offers.
Example: What your product review should include based on the game Grand Theft Auto V Online:
- Available Heist missions that you can co-operate with your friends online
- Exciting story mode providing hours of fun
- Customizing your cars at Los Santos Customs
- Purchasing your own yacht and properties
- Your personal experience with the game
- What you don’t like about the game
This will help your readers visualize what to expect if they decide to make the purchase.
Quality #3. You want to be an expert on the product you’re reviewing
This one is optional, but it would help if you can buy the product before writing the product review.
After all, how can you accurately review a product that you’ve never tried?
What I’ve had success doing is by emailing the person who is selling the product.
I would let him or her know that I am planning to do a product review and It would be helpful if he or she can provide me with a demo.
Some will say yes and some will say no. If you don’t ask, then the answer is definitely no.
This has helped me review products without actually making a purchase.
Quality #4. You want to provide good visuals on your product review
A picture speaks a thousand words!
When you’re promoting a product, a picture can be a deciding factor.
It’s like buying a car, would you buy a car without seeing the car first?
However, it doesn’t mean you should overdo it by adding pictures all over your review because too many pictures can be a distraction from your actual content.
When inserting pictures, you want it to enhance your review, not overwhelm your readers.
In your product review, you should always include a picture from the source.
When they click on the picture, it redirects them to the seller’s page.
I’ll go over why you should redirect your readers to the seller page for quality #5.
Quality #5. Strategically place your affiliate links!
Adding an affiliate link is one step you don’t want to skip because you won’t make any money without it.
Why it is important to have affiliate links on your review:
- It enhances the visitor’s experience by providing them the seller’s page to the product.
- It eliminates the likelihood of your visitor leaving your page to search for the product on their own.
- It allows you to earn a commission if your visitor uses your affiliate link and makes a purchase.
Keep in mind when placing affiliate links:
- While you write your content, you want to include a call to action link (CTA), basically, you want to get your visitors attention and let them know that “CLICK ME” is where they can purchase the product.
- Don’t over-use affiliate links! Content comes first, so I recommend 1 affiliate link every 1000 words. If your article contains too many affiliate links, it will look bad on search engines and hurt your ranking.
- Don’t start off your review with affiliate links! This makes you look desperate to make a sale and completely defeats the purpose of your review.
Quality #6. Provide an alternative!
It’s important to have review articles that are going to eventually earn you money, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore bad products that you don’t recommend.
You always can provide an alternative product link for your review when writing about a bad product.
This shows that you are serious about offering them good information and also gives your visitors an option!
Quality #7. Ask for comments on the product and make sure to engage with your visitors!
Quite often, comments on a product review speaks louder than the review itself because it’s real feedback from people that have nothing to lose or gain.
It’s almost like reading comments on Amazon or eBay! When I search for products, I use the comments to gauge the quality of the product.
Create A Template For Product Reviews
When writing product reviews, I try to use my template to ensure that every detail is covered. You can use my template as a reference ^_^
- Creating the title for your review: I recommend using the product name and adding the word “Review” at the end. When a visitor makes a search on Google, Yahoo, or Bing on a product, they usually type in the name of the product, followed by the word “Review”.
- Provide a general overview of the product with information: This includes the website URL, the founder, how much it cost, and your personal ratings.
- Write about what the product is: This is basically a more detailed overview of what the product is. For example, Wealthy Affiliate is a platform founded in 2005 by Kyle and Carson. There you will learn how to become a successful online marketer and blah blah blah.
- Provide visuals of what you get: You can only be descriptive to a certain extent with text. This is why I recommend including images of the actual product.
- Provide information on how to use the product: This doesn’t apply to all product reviews. Let’s say you are reviewing a software, you want to explain how it works.
- Include a pros and cons section (unbiased): You want to keep this short and straightforward. I recommend placing this toward the end because it wouldn’t make sense reading the pros and cons without understanding the product first.
- Finally, you want to include the final summary on the product: This should be easy to understand because this is the section where you include your final ratings, and whether you recommend the product or not. If you don’t recommend the product, this is also where you can provide an alternative product.
Can I structure the review differently?
Absolutely! Every product is different, so it’s not surprising to structure your review differently.
However, regardless of your niche, the qualities of a product review should not change at all.
Keep in mind before you leave this article:
- You want to be honest with your review no matter what!
- You want to review both GOOD and BAD products.
- You want to review for information NOT for money.
- Ask yourself this question: Would you be satisfied with your product review as a reader?
- When you promote a GOOD product, make sure it’s a product that you would recommend to friends and family.
How do you structure your product reviews? Do you have something to add to this article? If you do, please leave a comment below.