Do you think your blog is perfect? Chances are, it’s not! Running a blog is a growing process. If you started your blog on the WordPress platform, then I’m sure you still remember the first day of your blogs life when it showed, “Just another WordPress Site.”—To improve, you must accept imperfection. In this article, I will go over a few tips to help you improve your blog today!
Tip #1. Write A Powerful About Page
The most commonly read page on a blog is the about page because your readers are trying to see who they are dealing with. Who is this unknown writer? Why should I listen to him or her?
When you don’t take the time to write a powerful about page, your readers will be less inclined to return to your blog in the future. Here are some key components that you should include in your about page:
- Who Are You? I noticed a lot of bloggers lack information about themselves. For example, lack of a picture. It becomes more personal when your readers can see who is behind the screen. It makes your readers feel like they are talking to an actual person, not just someone behind a computer.
- Why Should Your Readers Read Your Blogs? What is the benefit for your readers to come back to read your blogs? Tell your readers what they are going to get for reading. It can be anything that relates to your niche. For example, if someone wants to lose weight, you can tell them that your blog contains information on how to lose weight effectively.
- Include Contact Information. On your about page, you don’t have to include the actual information to contact you with. What I like to do is to include a link somewhere visible for your readers to reach me.
Tip #2. Content is Queen
A blog is nothing without content. Even if you have content, without quality content, not many people will actually finish reading your blog posts. Here are a few tips to help improve the quality of your content:
- Write Captivating headlines. There are thousands of articles on the internet, so you’re probably competing with many others. What makes your content more readable? Well, your readers will judge it based on the headline. If it doesn’t sound interesting, they probably wouldn’t bother to read it.
- Write Content That Other’s Are Writing About. Don’t worry about producing contents that are already available on the internet. Just because you’ve read it, doesn’t mean others have. You can take what other bloggers in your space are writing and improve it in your own ways.—Don’t copy and paste though!
- Write contents to help others. You want to be the expert in your niche. If you want to make money on your blog, you must produce content that is helpful to the readers. You want to be the problem solver! For example, if I’m looking for the best television. I expect to find information on the best television, so I can make an informative decision.
The key to content marketing is consistency. You want to follow a set schedule when it comes to publishing content. Personally, I publish daily, so you’ll find fresh new articles every single day. You don’t have to do the same, so if you want to blog once month.—Blog once a month!
Tip #3. Engage With Your Audience
When starting a blog, your goal should be to build a readership. Once you have content, the next best way to build a readership is to engage with your audience. Remember, your blog is not about you, it’s about your readers.
Here are some tips to engage with your audience:
- Ask for engagement. At the end of each blog post(s). You want to ask your readers a question. For example, do you have anything to add to this article? Do you have any questions, comments, or concerns?
- Respond to everyone. Nobody likes to be ignored. It only takes you a few minutes to answer each question. If they are willing to spend their valuable time to leave a comment. The least you can do is to respond back!
- Use a Top Commentators plugin to reward your readers. A top commentator plugin will encourage people to leave comments because top commentators will receive a link back to their website if they comment enough. This will encourage your readers to leave comments because it brings traffic back to their website.
Tip #4. Keep Your Content Attractive While Maintaining A Simple Blog Design
I noticed a lot of bloggers spend lots of their time perfecting their blog with colors, pictures, and graphics. However, doing that is actually counterproductive. What you want your readers to do is to read your content, not to get distracted by the bells and whistles. Here are tips to keep in mind when designing your blog:
- Text that is easy to read. When it comes to text, you want to be as simple as possible. Preferred color is black and ensures the size is large enough that your grandparents can read without an issue.
- Simplicity is the best recipe. There’s no need for background graphics. A simple design will also allow your blog to load way faster, so your readers will not have to wait to start reading your content.
- Include Images. A picture is worth a thousand words! Include images in your blog post (if necessary) to make it easier to read. Nobody wants to read a blog of text.
Tip #5. Remind Your Readers To Come Back
There are thousands of websites out there. It’s very hard for your readers to remember who you are, so the chances of them coming back are very slim. However, there is something that you can do to remind your readers to come back to your blog.
What I like to do is use Email Marketing on my blog. I provide something for free in exchange for my reader’s email address. I don’t spam them with useless information though. I would remind them of my latest content or other useful information that I know will benefit my readers.
Thanks For Reading!
Do you have anything to add to this list or any other recommendations?